Sunday, April 01, 2007

Blow it out your glass...

Kinda catchy I thought...:) Anyhow, I figured it was high time I rambled a bit about something that I find fascinating to watch. Glassblowing is such an intriguing art form, expecially the process of creating a piece. On the PBS show, Art Beat, they've profiled a few different artists who do this for a living. To take it one step further, a show on Discovery Channel called How it's Made has breaks it down for the viewer and demonstrates the intricacies of the heating phase to the molding of each design. It's kind of like watching someone blow a monster bubble of gum. It's really something to see and they make it look so easy. I am a big fan of Portland's Saturday Market as you'll find a vast array of original and unusual blown glass pieces for sale. Last night I watch the movie, Sweet Home Alabama, with a friend of mine and marveled at the lightning striking the sand. The romantic lead, Jake (hottie that he is), creates beautiful works of art. Sure, it's just a movie, but I like to admire the glass pieces he makes from them. Someday I wanna either take a class in it or at least tour a studio to see the process in person.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

I toured a studio once where they did this. It is totally fascinating what it takes to make such beautiful pieces of art.

By the way, LOVE the title! Very catchy indeed:)