Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Bucket List

Okay, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I get the general concept of The Bucket List. Basically, it's about two old guys who realize their time is running out and so they decide to fulfill their lifelong "to do" wish list. Things such as jumping out of an airplane and taking an African safari are on the agenda. So ever since I first saw the previews for this movie, it got me thinking about how we all need to live life in such a way that we don't just expect there will always be more time to get everything done. We all get complacent like that. I know I do. Ever since my brother died at a very young age (at 22), I have wanted to get on with the business of living life in a manner that embraces life to the fullest. My brother was that way towards the end and strangely enough, it was one his parting gifts to me in a heart-to-heart we had just months before his life was cut short. As a result, I probably seem a bit offbeat in some people's eyes. I've always looked at life through a movie lens...it can be as romantic and crazy as you want it to be...if you are willing to be that way yourself. Maybe that's why I have made some of the choices that I have. We don't live forever, so we need to enjoy this ride while we can.

So it is very ironic that my best friend calls to tell she wants to stop talking about doing things and start doing things. So in typical Shelley fashion, she sprung the idea of taking a Carribbean cruise with her down to Cozumel to swim with the dolphins...a major dream of mine! I was literally speechless, which is rare. Just that morning I had mentioned this goal to my husband and within the day my best friend in the world bestows this wonderful gift. I can't wait to go on this amazing adventure with my Shellers!

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

Me too! We are going to have the best time:) Swimming with the Dolphins, chips and salsa at Ernesto's Fajita's...ahhh, can't wait!