Thursday, January 17, 2008

A New Addition

With all the hills and valleys I've experienced over the last few years and even in the last months, I must say that I received some news this week that threw me for another loop, but it a good way. It has has been a long time coming though. My parents have been locked in a custody dispute over my one of my nephews in recent years. To resolve this issue, all parties agreed to a special arrangement. My parents have officially adopted my nephew, Tyler. I am so glad for him to finally have some stability in his life. It is bittersweet news as it makes me sad to think of the things he has had to endure to find the home all kids are entitled to. He has always been more like a little brother to me anyway, but now I can actually say it and mean it. We always laugh when we get together and I love that about him. Though I must admit that it felt a little odd when my mom mentioned that I was no longer the only girl (the story of my sister is a whole other blog) and now am no longer the baby of the family. Both were a part of my family identity since birth, but both of those things have changed considerably. I couldn't be happier for my nephew/lil brother, but part of me wishes he never had to walk this path. Those of you who know me well, know the story. I don't want to rehash it all here in this blog, but suffice it say that I am thrilled for Tyler and my parents. He is a very special young man and deserves every happiness. He has a huge place in my heart.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

Awww, this is great news. A nice bit of closure on a very difficult situation.