Monday, March 12, 2007

From the great beyond...

Tonight I had a wonderful walk down memory lane. And it happened at just the right moment. I had had another stressful day of student teaching with my CT (must've been his time of the month or something). However, I've been learning how to let his control freak issues roll off my back as much as possible, though it isn't always easy. Anyhow, I had to run out to Office Depot to pick up some copies I had sent off for printing (more Action Research stuff). They had slightly screwed up my order, but I accepted that it was the best they could do. They usually do a really good job and I had to get back to my homework anyway, so I headed home.

On my way into the house, I noticed the constellation, Orion's Belt, winking at me in the sky. For those in the dark, it is an infamous series of three stars in a row. My affinity for this constellation goes back several years. For instance, while I was a freshman in college I worked late at the school library. On my way back to my dorm, I would oftentimes look up at the sky and be bid good night by the ever-present Orion's Belt. That same year, one of my older brothers was suddenly killed. His name was Ryan. Needless to say, it was a terrible time for my family. It might sound a little strange, but the name connection hit home to me. The three stars have often brought me some comfort over the years since his death. I like to think of the winking stars as Ryan watching over me, especially in times of stress.

What's more, Splash just happnened to be on AMC. This movie is a sentimental favorite of mine for many reasons, but primarily because it was one Ryan and I saw repeatedly in the theaters when we were young. For whatever reason, we were obsessed with the film. I think Ryan said he saw it in the theater some 17 times! My tally was only 4 times, but I caught up long ago when I bought it on video. My brother even tape-recorded the dialogue and transcribed the script. We memorized much of the movie and would act out the different parts. Yes, we had odd hobbies as kids. Everytime I watch it, I still know many of the lines thanks to our constant rehearsals.

Our history together was complicated, but he was definitely my creative counterpart. I guess the double whammy of seeing Orion's Belt and Splash gave me a much-needed dose of brotherly love from the great beyond. I still miss him and like to think he's still looking out for me in some way.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

As you know, I believe in signs and those who have passed on are watching over us. They like to be very clear about that every once in awhile just when we need it. So glad you had this experience to help with your current stress!!