Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Spirit

"We are the people our parents warned us about." This famous quote by Jimmy Buffet was emblazoned across one of my favorite T-Shirts as a teenager. I didn't take it too seriously back then, but nowadays it holds true more than ever. When I'm talking to my kids, I find things my own parents used to say coming out of my mouth without even realizing it. For instance, I caught my son sucking on his two fingers, a habit he's trying to break. He had been covertly doing so and covering part of his face with a his sweatshirt to hide it. Startled by being discovered, he asked "how did you know that?" and I replied with "moms know everything." My mother would be so proud...:)
As I pondered this ironic twist of parenthood, decided to make today a lazy day for the kids. My bronchitis has become chronic and wears me out some days. So I went digging in our movie drawer for a DVD we hadn't watched in quite awhile. I am very selective in the DVDs that we buy, especially the children's ones. To keep my kids occupied, I decided to put on Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. It remains one of my all time favorite feature-length animated movies. It is not only a great story about a wild mustang, but it deviates from the typical fare where the animals talk. Instead, Matt Damon provides the narration throughout and makes the sotry feel more realistic from the point of view of the horse. My kids are entranced by it as they loves horses. It doesn't hurt that Bryan Adams provides the soundstrack for the whole movie. Also gave me ample time to get some school work done, except I keep stopping to watch the movie.


No comments: