Monday, March 19, 2007

Places to go, books to read

What a wonderful gift to have a day off with my children. We finished working on report cards Friday afternoon, so my CT and I were given the option to "work" from home. I did work really hard on Sunday and was able to cross several things off of a lengthy 'to do' list. So today I devoted to running errands and hanging out with my two spunky kids. We had to go to Office Depot so I could get a trifold. I wanted to get a jumpstart on my Action Research symposium presentation. Then we headed next door to Barnes & Noble to check out children's lit section. N and K got to pick out one book each and enjoyed flipping through their choices in the reading area.

Afterwards, we made a couple of other stops before going to Costco for groceries and a quick lunch. This particular Costco was built last year and is the largest one in the world. We opted to grab some hot dogs and split a churro. Oh baby, are those churros yummy. Initially, I was going to take the kids to the park after all of our errands were done. However, the rain kicked in and so unfortunately we had to scrap that plan. So instead we went to the library and I let them pick a couple of videos and books to to check out. Between the book store and the library trips, N and K are set for reading material for awhile.


I truly enjoyed this day out with N and K as I have felt a little disconnected from them in recent weeks due to my crazy school schedule. I only have one more week to go of full time teaching and then I go to only three subjects. My courseload is slowly shrinking as I finish eash aspect, so it's home stretch time. With spring break coming up in a week and graduation on the horizon, I can't wait to do more with my kids. Also, on a completely different note I found myself anxious to have the read for pleasure again. I envied my kids that simple luxury. As I scanned the aisles of the book store and the library, I began to mentally compile a list of future reads. Someday down the road maybe I'll blog about my impressions of them as I cross them off of the list. Just for fun, I am adding them here for my own reference. In no particular order...



  • The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
  • Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
  • Geisha, a Life by Mineko Iwasaki
  • I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
  • The Glass Castle: a Memoir by Jeannette Wallsf
  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
  • The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
  • Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
  • In an Instant: A Family's Journey of Love and Healing by Lee and Bob Woodruff
  • Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace...One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

Aww, that sounds like a wonderful day out with the kids! I'm glad you had the chance to have that time with them.

I know what you mean about being able to read for pleasure. I had the same feeling when I was in grad school. It was so nice to be able to read something that I didn't have to worry about retaining...and to read something that was actually interesting;)