Friday, March 02, 2007

Caledonia

Last night, as I grew bored with the results show on American Idol, I channel-surfed and landed on PBS. It was telethon season once again, which means they pull out on all the stops in their programming. I was treated to an encore concert by an amazing singing troupe called Celtic Woman. I had first seen them last Christmas during the last fundraiser, but hadn't thought about them in awhile. The concert took place last year at Slane Castle in Ireland. If you like celtic music even in the least, you will fall in love with their incredible sound. Think Enya x 6.

What sets Celtic Woman (you'd think that their title would be plural, but it's not) apart is the purity and sweetness of their voices. Whether singing individually or all together, their music really resonates with the audience. One of the members is actually a violinist that dances as she plays, not an easy feat. In addition, their orchestra includes a two percussionists that pound on their drums like a tribal beat and a Irish flutist that plays solos that just call to your soul. The fact that they play traditional and contemporary Irish songs widens their appeal. The only way


As if it isn't obvious, I was really moved by this concert. My hubby and I have been fans of celtic music for years anyway and incorporated it into our own wedding. I guess the only way I can really capture the magic of this concert was that it was literally like poetry set to music. There was one woman in particular, Lisa Kelly, that sang a song called Caledonia that truly stuck with me. Not only was it a lovely song in and of itself, but when you set it against the castle backdrop, a choir, and an orchestra...her performance was the definition of feeling the music with all of her heart. I have never forgotten it and it has since become one of my favorite songs. Here is small lyric sample from the chorus...

Oh, but let me tell you that I love you
That I think about you all the time
Caledonia you're calling me
And now I'm going home
If I should become a stranger
You know that it would make me more than sad
Caledonia's been everything
I've ever had



If you trust youtube, here's just a taste...



Just type in Celtic Woman in the search box and you can easily watch more videos of their performances.

No comments: