Monday, May 14, 2007

Irish eyes are smiling!

Hubby and I went out Friday night to celebrate our five year wedding anniversary. It isn't actually until May 25th, but the concert was set for this night. We bought the tix to Celtic Woman months ago, so we were excited that the night had finally arrived. The whole night seemed to have an Irish thing going on, which seemed appropriate since our wedding had a Celtic theme. We dropped the kids off with Grandma and drove to the park & ride to hop on the Max. We wanted to get our tix at the box office, so we went straight to the Rose Garden. Then we got back on Max to go to Kell's Irish Pub in downtown Portland. It was my first time there, so I didn't have a clue what to order. Hubby was more adventurous with his food than I was, but overall the meal was pretty good. Even our waitor spoke with a thick Irish accent.

Afterwards, we rode the Max back to the Rose Garden to take our seats. We lucked out and got really decent seats. The seats are notoriously spaced close together, but we sat right at the stairwell in the back of the second section, so we both had plenty of leg room. My 6'3" hubby was grateful for that. Once the concert began, we got lost in the music. The ladies of Celtic Woman delivered as we knew they would. If you have seen their concert on PBS at all, then just imagine that feeling LIVE. It was beyond wonderful. It will go down as one of my all-time favorite concerts. One of the soloists, Meav, wasn't present for some reason and so the others filled in for by singing her songs. The fiddler, Mairead, was fantastic on every level as she pranced about. She is just as spry and pixie-like as she appears on TV. She appeared to have a brace on her leg however, probably a result of her dancing. Of course my favorite part was Lisa Kelly singing Caledonia. All in all, the concert was worth every penny and a beautiful night of music. On our way out, we stopped at the souvenir stand and Hubby got us a program. I said that we couldn't afford it, but he hushed me and reassured me it was fine and he knew I really wanted one. That was the best thing that happened all night...that simple gesture on his part. Even though he can drive me crazy sometimes, I knew he was a keeper.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

It sounds like a great time and a well-deserved one I might add. Good idea going to an Irish eatery beforehand!