Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Raise Your Voice

While it was wasn't the strongest crop of singers in Idol history, it was far and away the biggest season ever. The sheer star power really legitimized this show in the eyes of many. Once dubbed "just another reality show," it has become a true assembly line of talent as every season cranks out more amazing people. It can't be dismissed anymore. If you have never given this show the time of day, I suggest you give it a looksie next season to see what all the fuss is about. It has it all...blood, sweat, and tears. Most of all, it has heart. This may sound cheesy to say, but it makes you root for these fledgling singers as they grow into their own. I am a true sucker for finales also. It's fun to relive the final moments and song on youtube from previous seasons. The emotion the winners put into their finale performance always brings out the waterworks in me. Last night was no exception when my girl Jordin Sparks won. I LOVE her voice. It reminds me so much of Irene Cara from her Flashdance days and Bette Midler's range in "Wind Beneath My Wings." When she hits those big notes, her voice truly soars. and sounds so pure. She is just so endearing. Okay, okay enough gushing already.


On another note, I actually meant to focus on something that struck me as very promising. During the Idol Gives Back special, stars big and small came together to raise money for several causes in Africa and right here at home. On a grander scale, this past year has seen a lot of star power bring awareness to many issues such as global warming, the crisis in Darfur, and a host of other worldly concerns. Led by the Jolie-Pitts, you are seeing more celebs adopt internationally. It seems to be en vogue these days to be a humanitarian. While it may just be a trend for some, I think anything that improves Mother Earth even a little has to be something to cheer for. Maybe we aren't hopeless as a species and won't bring about our own destruction. This may be a melodramatic thing to say, but I do worry about the kind of world my kids will inherit. I want good things for them and for them to do good things. If some of the most privileged people on the planet can set a positive example, that does give one reason to hope. Change comes in many forms and music is as good a place as any to start raising awareness.


*steps off soapbox*

No comments: