Sunday, May 06, 2007

There's hope...

Though I work as a sub a couple days a week, it's not quite enough to make ends meet. Since I have to work creatively around our childcare situation, I've been trying to figure out alternatives. Thank goodness for craigslist! I have been scouring that site for days on end in hopes of connecting with some short term job opportunities to earn some extra income. While not everything pans out, I've had some good responses to a few gigs that I've looked into. I started one job today as a sunday school assistant to a youth minister. It's only one day a week, but it's something. I have a lead on another short term nanny job that is two nights a week. It's a little bit of a commute, but the hours work well with our schedules and is only through June. Keep crossing my fingers that I will have a full time teaching job come this fall and all will be right with the world once more. In the meantime, in between time, I will keep plugging away at this job hunting stuff. It is just sooooo much fun...:) Plus, gotta get a little bit of spending money tucked away for the Houston trip on the horizon...:)


Speaking of Houston, ever since my best friend Shelley came from there for a visit recently...I've been craving potato skins. I'd never had one until recently when she took me out for a bite to eat. I thought they were just another name for potato wedges. It looked a little bit unappealing at first, but it smelled so good that I had to give it a go. Ooooh baby! Those are sinful little suckers. In the last seven or so years, I've been introduced to some really amazing delicacies by my hubby's family and by my best friend. Among the wonderful dishes are German (or oven) pancakes, sweet rolls, red beans and rice, and of course beignets. That last treat is absolutely heaven, but you have to go easy on the powdered sugar or it can overwhelm the tast buds...but I digress. Now that my mouth is watering, let me get back to my point. My mother-in-law just gifted us with a bag of potatoes, so I've been searching for a good recipe online to try my hand at making them. We'll see how I do. It's always fun to expand the cooking reportoire as it is not that big at the moment. I guess culinary jobs are out of the question. I'll stick with child-oriented and writing stuff for now.

No comments: