Thursday, January 04, 2007

Back to School

Well, I have almost survived the first week of my second stint of student teaching. I have been crazy busy for the last few days. Just burning the candle at both ends I guess. In my last placement I had the luxury of just mainly observing for the first week or two, even though it was a short-term placement. Well, my CT (Cooperating Teacher) has the notion of throwing me to the wolves, so to speak. He feels that I'll get bored just watching him, so he has already been putting me to work. Starting Monday, I take over teaching a couple of things. I am grateful for his confidence in me, but just feeling a little ill-prepared to teach stuff I have no experience with. Let's just say, I am learning to think on my feet. My CT reassures me that doing is the best of learning, so I am just praying each night that I can get through each day and do a good job. Time will tell.

In one of the nuttiest moves I've ever made, I will begin my teaching my second WS (Work Sample) the same week as my AR (Action Research) project. For those that don't know what those two things are, let me briefly explain so you can get the full scope of this. A WS is a unit consisting of at least 10 lessons. In addition, you must complile a complete analysis of the school, your students, your own evolution as a teacher, and a full assessment student achievement of the unit objective. My last one was 116 pages long!

An AR is very similar to a thesis. I ask a question and then conduct field research on it by collecting and triangulating data. Then I report on my findings. There is much more to both, but that is both in a nutshell. Due to time constraints and some other extenuating circumstances, it was unavoidable. It might be academic suicide on some level, but the only thing I can do is push through and cross my fingers that the stars align for me. I've been doing a little bit each night, but the pace finally caught up with me, so I had to take a brain break this evening.

In the short time I've known them, I must add that I am really enjoying these first graders. They are so adorable and willing to learn. Kids at this age are still very much like sponges. All students are unique and wonderful in their own ways, but this group of children are extra special in that they have seen and lived through some major challenges in their young lives. This school has the highest poverty rate in the county and has many kids that come from very troubled homes. I met many of my students previously at a local Boys & Girls club that I volunteered at for awhile. It is heart-breaking and uplifting all at once to work with these children. I adore their energy and personalities. They love to shine, so I hope that when all is said and done, I get to help them experience that. I know I'll take away some amazing memories from this school.

No comments: