Thursday, January 18, 2007

Thursday Thirteen


I just recently discovered what this Thursday Thirteen phenomenon is all about. After doing a little research on the topic, I thought I'd give it a go. And since this week was the season premiere of American Idol, I figure why not make my inaugural 13 all about the freakshow we call good TV and why I love it.
13 Things That I Love About American Idol:
  1. Kelly, Ruben, Clay, Fantasia, Jennifer, Carrie, Bo, Taylor, and Chris. (that's almost it's own list, but there were too many names to include...and yes, I did purposely omit some obvious names).
  2. The dysFUNtional judges
  3. Seeing contestants get better each week
  4. Getting to be a song critic
  5. The bad auditions (some just want their 15 minutes, but some are truly delusional)
  6. Guessing what genre will happen each week
  7. Seeing which song the top 12 will attempt
  8. Picking a favorite early on and following them to the end (can we say Carrie?)
  9. The physical transformations (i.e. Clay)
  10. That moment when you know a contestant has really nailed their song
  11. Ryan Seacrest (hey, I like the guy)
  12. Looking forward to the January premiere and the May finale
  13. Chatting with my mom by phone each week to critique the performances

Now, 13 Things That I Loathe About American Idol:

  1. Ryan Seacrest's former catchphrase..."Seacrest, out!"
  2. Ryan Seacrest's current catchphrase..."After the break!"
  3. Making sure I do my part in keeping my favorites in the running by having to text my vote in, otherwise I feel bad when they get voted off.
  4. Too many bad auditions are shown
  5. Not enough good auditions are shown
  6. William Hung
  7. The cheesy DAWGpound
  8. Annoying contestants that sing well, but have horrible interview skills (i.e. too cocky, try to be funny but aren't)
  9. Websites that run campaigns to keep underdog contestants just to screw with the chances of those that truly have a shot (Can we say Scott from season 4? or the goofy kid from season 5?)
  10. Corny product placement ads by the final 12 (i.e. Ford)
  11. Fake comments like "we are like a big family"
  12. The age limit should be raised to 18. The judging process can be pretty harsh for a teen.
  13. What Simon says...depends on the day

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Nice list. I've never watched American Idol (even though they play it over here in the UK for us (as if we don't have enough of our own of those shows to watch :p)), but some nice voices come out of it, yeah!

The auditions are the best bit, I usually get bored after that, tehe

And welcome to TT, by the way. This week was my 2nd week! :)

Unknown said...

Great list and I agree to all of those..Very creative this week..so far I am not too impressed

Caylynn said...

Welcome to Thursday Thirteen! I've never seen American Idol, so I can't comment on any of your points, but it sounds like the show holds some entertainment value!

Happy T13! :)

Wylie Kinson said...

Welcome to TT -- love your list! We're AI fans in this house, too, so I was nodding at most of your likes and dislikes,
Wylie, out!