Saturday, January 20, 2007

Times...they are a' changing

Okay, I am not really an avid follower of politics, but some recent developments have caught my attention. Some of my polarizing comments may hit a nerve for some, but please remember that this is just a blog and a place me to scribble my ramblings. Nuff said about that. Although the next major election is still over a year or two away, the candidates are already heating up in the Democratic race. Historically, the presidency has been primarily pursued by older white males. We proclaim to be one of, if the most progressive country in the world and yet we seem to have issues with diversifying our leadership.

It will be fascinating to watch how the 2008 elections will play out. It has the potential to be the most amazing presidential races EVER. Hillary Rodham Clinton proclaims that "I'm in to win!" Barack Obama has now entered as a possible candidate as well. If either of these political forces were to run without the other in the race, each would fare well.

With them both in the same election however, each candidate will be making history and therefore creating an uphill battle for each. For at least the Democratic primaries, the votes will come down whether people want to elect the first ever African-American President OR the first ever female president. It would be a major coup for either person as well as the entire country. The frustrating thing is that only one will be left standing in the end to face the Republican candidate. It will be interesting to see who steps up to fill Bush's shoes on that side of the fence.


Strictly speaking for myself, I am torn over many of the current government policies. I respect Bush on one level for his maverick approach and pull-no-punches Texas charm. On another level I think that he has little insight into the true price some of his decisions have cost the people of this country and abroad. After 9/11, he recited repeatedly how the war on terror would be a lengthy and costly campaign. Feeling patriotic, the country backed him without question. However, I don't think anyone pictured it turning out quite this way. Many worry that this war has become this generation's Vietnam. We are fighting an enemy we can't see.
At this stage, I don't know how I feel or who I would give my vote to. I have mixed feelings about Clinton. Sometimes I really respect her and other times I question her decisions. I know nothing about Obama, so I reserve judgement until I learn more about him and his ideas. I know that whoever wins, voting should be based on the best person for the job, not their gender or skin color. Yet its hard to ignore the obvious benefits and great strides that giving one of these candidates a shot at the White House could bring. After the last few years leadership, I welcome some positive changes...whatever they may be. Just some food for thought.

No comments: