Monday, January 15, 2007

Close Encounters

Have you ever thought about the famous people that you've seen or met over the course of your life? Well, in the midst of my attempt to shake off the stress of grad school and student teaching, I began to ponder this question. Just for fun and because I have insomnia, here are the people that have crossed my path or at least my eyeline at some point in my life. They are listed in no particular order.


  • Henry Winkler - He was the first celebrity sighting that I can recall. He was signing autographs at Disneyland and was still playing"The Fonz."

  • Joan Mondale - In 5th grade, my teacher was invited to interview the potential first lady during the '84 presidential race. All of the 5th grade classes were allowed to attend the big campaign appearance. I actually got her autograph.

  • Keri Russell and Scott Speedman - My hubby and I were leaving our La Maze class and saw them walking out of a cafe in a little trendy shopping district. I wanted to stop so bad as I was a huge Felicity fan, but we opted to give them their privacy.

  • Jared Rushton - He was hot off of Big and Overboard when he came to my high school. I was seated near him in English class and was a bit starstruck. Although I can't remember exactly what I said, I do remember that I stuck my foot in my mouth and that was that.

  • Figure skaters galore - Courtesy of Stars on Ice and Tour of World and Olympic Figure Skating Champions, I saw Tai Babylonia & Randy Gardner, Michelle Kwan, Scott Hamilton, Tonya Harding, Kristi Yamaguchi, Nancy Kerrigan, Brian Boitano, Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov, Herbie & Fred (you gotta know skating for that one), Rosalyn Sumners, Katerina Witt, Todd Eldridge, The Duschenays (sp?), Tara Lipinsky, and a host of others.

  • Jose Canseco and Ricky Henderson - At a Mariners vs. A's baseball game at the Kingdome many moons ago.

  • Cal Ripkin, Jr. and Kirby Puckett - At a Baltimore Orioles game (forget who played for who) in the 90's at some point when I was visiting my big brother.

  • Shannon Miller and the other Mag 7 - At an exhibition event after the '96 Olympic Games with my best friend, Shelley.

  • Concerts - Def Leppard (2x), Bryan Adams, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks (solo), Depeche Mode, Martina McBride, Olivia Newton-John, Clay Walker, Diamond Rio, and Sawyer Brown.


On the flip side of this, here is a random list of people I'd love to still meet one day for various reasons:



  • Midori Ito (my all-time skating idol)

  • Nadia Comaneci (my all-time gymnastics idol)

  • Maya Angelou (poet extraordinaire)

  • Jodi Picoult (fantastic writer)

  • Angelina Jolie (everything about her)

  • Sean Astin (love his work and his book)

  • Viggo Mortensen (yum)

  • Matthew McConaughey (yummy)

  • Will Smith (yummy and funny)

  • Rick Springfield (just cuz I loved him as a kid)

  • Matthew Perry (just cuz I love him)

  • Courtney Cox (sometimes I am soooo Monica)

  • Loretta Lynn (childhood hero)

  • Michael J. Fox (cute, funny, and a hero)


Okay, this is the kind of ramblings you get at 2:45am. The more profound insights come around 10pm. Since there is no school tomorrow, I don't have to get up early. However, my children will probably be up at the crack of dawn, so I better try and count a least a few sheep.


No comments: