Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen



Well, here goes my second attempt at this Thursday Thirteen stuff. I've been wanting to write a blog about some strange commercials that I've noticed lately and thought today would a good time to give it a go. They may be odd, but I still love 'em! So without further ado, here is my list for the day (in no particular order).

13 of the Strangest Commercials Ever Made

  1. Carl's Jr. Milkshake: Two men shaking two dairy cows to the tune of "My milkshake is better than yours..." Pure genious.
  2. Quiznos Sponge-Monkeys: Two wierd looking sponge monkeys (or whatever you wanna call 'em), with a top hat and pirate hat, strum a guitar as they sing why we should eat Quiznos subs. "They got a pepper bar!" I still laugh at this one. My son does a great imitation.
  3. "Time to Fix the Doughnuts" Guy: I forget if this was for Winchell's or Dunkin' Donuts, but this one was timeless.
  4. "Where's the Beef?": Unless you have been living under a rock or are too young to remember, this one is a classic. To be honest though, I can't even recall which burger chain this little old lady was stumping for. Wendy's I think.
  5. "I'd like to buy the world a Coke!": To this day, whenever I hear the song "I'd like to teach the world to sing," I still sing the Coke lyrics. Harmony at its best.
  6. Mentos: Any of these ads really. So kooky, but you still smile with a cock-eyed grin and scratch your head to see the correlation between the product and the point of the commercial. "Mentos...the freshmaker."
  7. CGI Orville Redenbacher (sp?): Who knew that this old-timer would ever make a comeback from the grave wearing an iPod no less. Freaky is the only word I can think of.
  8. "Excuse me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?": Nuff said.
  9. Avoid the Noid! Dominos: The odd little red guy is just another pop icon now and made Domino's a household name.
  10. Yo quiero Taco Bell!: The talking chihuahua (sp?) was adorable.
  11. Bud. Wise. Er. Frogs: Funky and fun. Creative and corny. I loved it!
  12. Spuds Mackenzie: Who knew a dog could be so popular with the ladies.
  13. "Can you hear me now?": Who knows what cell phone this ad was hocking, but I still use that phrase whenever I get a dropped call. It's a part of the vernacular now I guess.

And there you have it. It's all I could think of this morning. Have a great day!

No comments: