Monday, January 22, 2007

I am taffy

Wow. Let me just say that for the last few weeks I have felt what it must be like to be a piece of taffy being made. You know, when you go to the coast and want to eat some saltwater taffy. The stores have those windows where you can watch the taffy being stretched over and over on metal rollers until it is thin and stringy. Well, that is what balancing grad school, family, and the politics of teaching has been doing to me. This is my current life.

It is hard to please everyone and balance a schedule that works for everyone. If I am working hard to please one person, chances are pretty good that I am frustrating or irritating another. So as I roll from one stress-inducing week to another, I find myself getting stretched thinner and thinner. And yet that is the great thing about taffy...no matter how thin you stretch it, somehow it manages to stay in one piece. I'm still hanging on. I try to see it as my husband reminds me. The end is in sight and in will all be worth it.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

HUGS! Hang in there. During my last semester of law school, when the doorbell would ring I'd hope it was Death coming to take me away because eternal rest was looking pretty darned good about that time.

Grad school of any sort is a real bitch, no getting around that. But it is true that it will be worth it when you are done. You will look back with much pride at your accomplishment.

In the meantime, might I suggest you eat some taffy? After all, you are what you eat;)