Friday, December 29, 2006

Doin' the Raindance

Warning! Potty talk ahead...:)

Okay, I've had it. I am officially the worse potty training parent ever. EVER. Believe you me, there is very little that I haven't tried with my daughter. If I am the worst trainer, than she is definitely on the list for one of the worst potty trainees ever. She is so stubborn and wierd about it. Case in point, I spent the entire morning putting her on the toilet at regular intervals. Though she never actually went the bathroom, she at least sat on the her special toilet seat so she won't fall in. She got a little resistant once or twice, but overall she was a good girl about staying put. She ate both breakfast and lunch with no results. I even gave soup and turned on the water faucet (for the trickling sound effect) to help facilitate the peeing process. Nodda. Zip. Zilch.


At one point, she declared that she had gone potty in toilet. When I inspected the water, I couldn't see any noticeable color change. However, she seemed so certain she had gone that I cheered her for it anyway and told her how proud I was of her. She smiled from ear to ear. When naptime came, I changed her back into out of her undies and back into her pullup. About a half hour later I could hear her kicking the walls of her bedroom. I opened her door to find her happily playing on her bed. She not only had lugged half her toybox into her bed, but she also had a full diaper. Hello? All day on and off the toilet and she waits until she's in her bed to go. It's like she has an aversion to going potty in the toilet. I know she knows what she should do. Maybe I should just put a potty chair on her bed.


Another mom that I know suggest that I take her into the bathroom with me everytime I need to go and to try having her dolly pretend to go as well. I began doing that last night. I am mentally willing this child to learn. I am almost out of time. I go back to student teaching in just over three days. I will be working full time, five days a week and won't be as available to her like I have been this past month. I will be reliant on my babysitters for their help and am not sure how jazzed they are about having to help potty train.

Someone told me that Dr. Phil believes you can potty train any child in just one day if you do it right. I believe that it depends on the child. With my son, I tried everything under the sun. It wasn't until it just finally clicked with him. I had read books, researched the internet, consulted with my doctor and other moms for ideas. Once the lightbulb went on and he decided for himself that he wanted to be a big boy, he finally was figured it out. I used a potty chart to reward him for everyday he went without an accident to help with that aspect. I am putting together one for her now. That's the key with Kirsten I think. Until she decides she's ready, it doesn't matter what we do. I plan to keep at it, but I hoping for a miracle. If someone knows a variation of the raindance that will bring on the potty, let me know.

No comments: