Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Siblings

I was sitting here surfing the net and noticed that my kids were sitting at the kitchen table coloring together. While they may have their days where they bicker, overall they get along exceptionally well. They are very thoughtful of each other (most of the time) and play well together. For instance, last night my 3 year old daughter was sad about something. She loves to twirl and do her ballerina moves. She says, "I have no prince to dance with." So my 6 year old son steps in and they proceed to waltz around the room. It was one of those sweet moments that does a parent's heart good. It's the sort of relationship I have prayed for them to have.

I grew up with a lot of brothers and overall have great relationships with all of them. Though we aren't especially close in recent years due to the miles between us, we come together during the holidays and pick up where we left off. However, the brother that was closest to me in age was a real challenge to grow up with . He had some major issues and always made it tough to get along with him. Though we had our moments of getting along well, it wasn't until we adults that our relationship truly became a good one.

He passed away back in 1993, so our newfound friendship was short-lived. I hope that my two kids continue to find the good in each other and not focus on the differences too much. If I teach them anything, it is to treat each other with love and respect. They can be each other's strongest ally in the years to come, so it's important to treasure the gift of being blessed with a sibling. So far so good.

No comments: