Sunday, December 17, 2006

We are family

Well, one Christmas celebration down and two more to go. We spent four days in Bend with my family to have an early holiday with them. We got up early and drove down on Thursday (also my b-day). My folks watched the kids that night so that Kevin could take me out. We went to Outback Steakhouse and enjoyed some quality "us" time. We later went over to Fred Meyer to get a little Christmas shopping done and to walk off some dinner. While were were there, Kevin got me a set of headphones as an extra birthday gift.

Kevin spent most of Friday trying to fix my parents' computer, so I went out the kids and my nephew Tyler. We got some good gifts and took the kids to see Santa outside of Macy's. They seemed a little uncertain of ol' St. Nick, but Nicky did manage to share his wish list. Kirsten just kind of looked on. They got a little restless and hungry at that point, so I treated them all to Taco Bell for lunch. We took it home to eat, so Kirsten could take her nap. Tyler and I went back out to Fred Meyer to finish up some Christmas shopping. We had such a great time and ended up in toy department having way too much fun. I had my digital camera, so we took advantage and snapped lotsa funny pics. My nephew looks adorable in his feather boa and princess crown. I saw the this frog and had to kiss it to see if it would turn into a prince. No such luck.

Later that night, my brother Steve wanted to take me out for a belated birthday dinner. We went to a mexican place called El Rodeo and ate the spiciest salsa ever. We indulged a bit and each had a blackberry margarita, which was also good for tempering the hot salsa. I was feeling adventurous, so I also had a Corona with a twist of lime. Most of all I just enjoyed hanging out my big brother and catching up with him. Later that night, Kevin and my other nephew Garrett asked me to go cosmic bowling with them. I was just too tired from being out and about so much already though, so I sat this one out.

On Saturday, we had a great time in the snow. Kirsten was battling a cold, so she stayed inside. My dad and I dragged Nicky around on a sled all over the backyard, which looks a lot like a woodland. He had such a blast. My mom and I had a bit of a tiff (that's another story), but we were able to get past it. Later on we had our family Christmas party. It was great to see everyone, nibble on goodies, and open presents. That evening, Kevin, Garrett, my niece Marley, and I went to go see a movie, The Pursuit of Happyness. Definitely two thumbs up!

Then today (Sunday), we decided to call it good and come home. We wanted to beat any bad weather that might be on its way. We got home safely. Needless to say, it was a very busy weekend with my family. I spent a lot of time catching up with everyone and it was nice. It was especially nice when my cousin, Val, dropped a bombshell. She and her hubby are expecting their first baby and we are all so excited for them. We have our troubled waters, but as a family can usually bridge the gaps. For better or worse, we are family and that's a great thing.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

LOVE the frog picture! Of course I would:)