Thursday, December 28, 2006

Sweatin' the small stuff

Okay, I can officially say I've been productive. While I may not be marking everything off my "To Do" list, at least some strides have been made. For instance, I've gotten going on some of my homework and feel good about that so far. There is a lot of it to organize and process, so progress is slow in that department. I just wanted to toot my own horn for spending several hours last night on it and I actually turned the tv off to do it. By the end of the night (or shall I say wee hours of the morning?), my brain was on the fritz so I had to stop. Still too wired to sleep, I started watching a movie that I recently bought and have been dying to see since I finished the book, Plain Truth. Didn't finish it because I was too tired. Will try to today though.

Then today, I managed to tackle a long overdue project: my son's room. It hasn't been very messy per se, but just a lot of little things in random places. I get so tired of all the tiny toys and miscellaneous pieces that don't seem to go with anything because they broke off, got mixed up, or whatever. So I sorted the bulk of his stuff into various piles to better organize his toys.
He has Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Magnetix, Thomas Trains/Railroads, a Jay Jay plane collection/airport, racetracks and Hot Wheels, Dinosaurs, Safari animals, and a bunch of other random stuff.

I think that it's time to let some of the random stuff go. We just don't have the space or the bins to contain it all. He's outgrown some toys, so I will just put them into box to give to a friend, family member, or just give it to the Goodwill. Part of me wants to keep a few things in case I ever teach Kindergarten and need toys to put in my classroom. Storage space and lack of containers for it is the biggest issue. Well, with the kids' help we were able to make his room a little bit better and less cluttered. Kirsten's room is pretty much the same story, but not something I'm ready to deal with today.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

Cleaning the room of children is a huge task and something you should be proud of. Is it just me or should toy manufacturers not be allowed to make toys with pieces smaller than a bread box?;)

Good for you for getting things done. I was like that in grad school too. Spurts of getting stuff done was preceded and followed by huge spurts of procrastination.