Thursday, December 07, 2006

Writer's Block

I find it a bit ironic that I have struggled to start writing a novel for years, but I can find time to blog so frequently lately. To put a positive spin on things it is one way to get some self-discipline going. I used to blog only about once a week or every couple of weeks, but recently I've been thinking of things to babble about.

My action research project asks the question, "Can crafting literature inspire primary students to think like writers?" Needless to say, after spending countless hours buried in writing research, I have fleshed out what this all means. I've always innately understood what it meant to see the world as a writer and have lived the concept. Writing in and of itself is not the challenge. For me, the struggle comes when I feel the pressure to write something very organized and long.

Think about all those long reports from your school days. If it was at least in a topic of interest, it made the process more bearable. I think I see drafting a novel in much the same way a rockclimber sees Mt. Everest for the first time. It will be a daunting task for sure and you know it will be a major uphill battle to get to the top of the mountain.

What I lack is the organizational skills to focus my writing and arrange into a cohesive whole. Maybe I should just come up with a general subject or idea and write little blurps about it. Blogging comes pretty easily to me as I am just rambling about my random opinions and experiences. Creating a fictional masterpiece takes a bit work.

1 comment:

Shelby said...

Have you started? What's your topic?