Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Sink-or-Swim Time

Okay, school is going to be the death of me. As if I wasn't stressed enough about my solo teaching, work sample and action research project, now my Cooperating Teacher (CT) has added a whole new dimension to it. From the talks we've had so far, I can tell he is going to be a wonderful mentor. However, he is going to whip me into teacher-shape with the sink-or-swim mentality. In other words, check my nerves at the door.

I was advised by my cohort leader to do each element by itself if possible due to the enormity of each task. My CT has other plans for me. According to him, I will most likely be having a lot of overlap of each one. He informed me today that I should be prepared to teach my work sample while simultaneously doing my solo teaching. When I asked about my action research, he said probably when my work sample was done (but still during the solo teaching). The work sample is very involved and to take on all of my CT's responsibilities is overwhelming.

It's nearly impossible to get all three done at the exact same time. There just aren't enough hours in the day and brain cells in my head to handle them all at once. I am trying to keep an open mind and be as prepared as I can over the winter break. I just won't plan on seeing much of my family in the coming months. If I start to drown, someone throw me a lifeline!

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

I feel your pain. I felt this way the last semester of law school when I had three classes, a huge research paper, and the bar to contend with. No matter what the task, law, teaching, or something else entirely, when there's too much at one time, it can really fry your brain and make you crazy.

Call me anytime for a lifeline! I've always got one for you.